In today’s era of globalization, it is not uncommon for people to not only travel across the world but also shift to a new country. At Smoover we know that it is not easy to relocate to a new country. At Smoover we make this process of relocation very easy for you so that you don’t have to stress about packing, unpacking, and transportation.
Why do you require Packing Services
It can be very difficult for you to organize international movings on your own. International movings also come with a new set of issues like sale/purchase of a home, document preparation for residence in a new country, etc. These are some of the important issues that need to be addressed timely. Transportation to a new country is also a troublesome task. You need to address issues like packing, unpacking, and efficient routes. You can let us do all these laborious tasks for you so that you can move easily.
Why Choose Us for your packing services
At Smoover we are proud to be top-rated packers and movers with excellent past experience. Our experts know very well how to organize your moving process so that you can save both your cost and time. Our team offers several advantages
- We are team of seasoned professionals with vast experience in this industry
- We have performed thousands of movings in the past
- We provide the facility for domestic, international and European relocation
- We also provide insurance facility on our services
- We provide both packing and unpacking services
- We provide the facility of storage for both long term and short term
How to pack for a move
In this article, we will walk you through how to pack for a move. You can save costs in your move by purchasing the boxes and doing the packing yourself, or if you prefer, let SMOOVER handle these tasks for you.
Buying the right moving box
In order to properly pack moving boxes, the boxes must be suitable. That sounds straightforward is an elementary requirement: moving boxes are all too often unstable, too big, unwieldy or already damaged. These points are important if you are packing boxes consider these points:
- Moving boxes should definitely have handles: Otherwise, carrying them becomes extremely stressful.
- Pay attention to the thickness of the cardboard. Stable moving boxes are particularly suitable for heavy household items. They consist of two – instead of single-walled cardboard.
- It is best to buy as many boxes as possible in one size. You can be better stacked.
- Very important: Many small moving boxes are better than a few big ones.
- Also consider: high-quality boxes can be sold well after use.
- Check in advance whether you can still use existing, used boxes. Sort out broken boxes! It doesn’t help if the old boxes break while carrying them down the staircase.
Tip: A comparison of online offers can be worthwhile if you are looking for suitable moving boxes. You have to decide for yourself whether boxes from online retailers, moving companies or hardware stores are more suitable in your case. A good price for double-walled boxes is 2-3€/piece. If you want to save you the hassle you can check on the SMOOVER questionnaire that we shall provide you the boxes either prior to the move or the moving team will set time aside to do the packing for you – including bringing the materials.
How many boxes do I need?
There are a few rules of thumb and help that will help you determine the number of boxes. You can calculate around 10 boxes per person and per year you stayed in the house/apartment and add some contingency. An even better predictor to the number of boxes you will need would, of course, be your past move.
How heavy can moving boxes be?
Most of the mistakes happen when it comes to the weight of the packed moving boxes. The important rule of thumb is: Better leave some space than make the box too heavy! But what does that mean in concrete terms?
- Your moving boxes should never weigh more than 20 kilograms.
- It is better to keep to the 15 kg limit.
- So don’t just fill the boxes with heavy things like books or all your work-out weights. Be sure to fill in half of the box with lighter contents such as towels or laundry.
Use a bathroom scale to check the weight in between to get a feeling. After some time, the routine will set in and you will automatically pack with optimal weight.
How to pack for a move: What do I have to put in the moving boxes first?
The move is getting closer and you are on the tube: What do I have to pack first? Very easy, if not literally: First pack heavy objects such as the books mentioned or file folders in the moving boxes. Otherwise, they could crush light and delicate things.
So as not to exceed 15 to 20 kilograms, pack the lightweights of your home furnishings onto the heavy things. Read below how to protect fragile items such as glass or what you can use as packaging material.
Tip: If you really want to pack up heavy things that weigh more than 20 kilograms in the end: Use travel cases with wheels, if available. This way, it will be less exhausting to transport.
How to pack for a move: Glasses, dishes, books, and clothing
Depending on the content and object, it is important that you pack in the best possible way. The following tips will help you to store various utensils gently and efficiently.
- Books: Put books back to back. This way they cannot slide into each other and break. Practical: there are special moving boxes for books. They are particularly stable and smaller than other boxes. If you request books from SMOOVER, please mention the requirement on our WhatsApp Chat.
- Textiles/clothing: It is best to get clothes boxes for suits, dresses, and other sensitive wardrobes. Towels or small items of laundry can be used well as upholstery material.
- Groceries: Basically, you can be happy with everything that you don’t have to transport. So eat as much food as possible in advance. If packages remain open, you should carefully seal them with adhesive tape for the move. Caution: Frozen or perishable food is better consumed prior to the move. It might not survive the move or be forgotten in one of the boxes and lead to an unwelcoming surprise.
- Dishes/glasses: How best to pack dishes, cookware and glasses for the move? Clear answer: ideally individually in silk or wrapping paper. Only then can you stow them in the moving box. Particularly important for fragile items: Fill any cavities with soft, protective materials. Whether crumpled tissue paper, bubble wrap, towels or small items of laundry: Then carry out a careful vibration test. Note: Fragile items are only insured if packed by the moving team.
Tip: Newspaper is often used to knock in dishes or glasses, but is not recommended. The reason: Newspaper rubs off and may give you some extra work to remove. In addition to tissue and wrapping paper, there is another variant: special moving boxes with compartments for glass and dishes.
How can I pack well organized and stress-free?
It helps enormously if you are well prepared as early as possible – even before you start packing your moving boxes. Here is a possible schedule that can save you a lot of stress:
- Start sorting out and throwing away things you haven’t used for some years or don’t want to bring to your new place around three months before moving. Systematically go through your home from the basement to the attic.
- Walkthrough the rooms of your apartment at least one month before you move. Classify things according to their importance. Then proceed according to this classification: First, find everything that you will not need in the next few weeks. Pack all of this in moving boxes at least seven days before moving.
- Label each box with the contents and room name. E.g. “bedding from the bedroom”. So not only you, but also your helpers know where and what is going. Further details on the content can also be helpful if you unpack again.
- Also useful: a written plan for moving staff or helpers. Label each door in the new apartment with the room-name so that the boxes arrive correctly.
A week before the move, you start with the last stage: you pack the remaining things in your moving boxes. The goal is to have everything in the boxes latest the night before the move.
Last tip: If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us on WhatsApp. We are happy to respond. Moving is our job and our passion is to make it a smooth experience.